Friday, April 27, 2012

Facehunter (Yvan Rodic) Presentation

Written 4/26/12

Hi All!  Today I attended a presentation by Facehunter/Yvan Rodic at UH.  I knew almost nothing about him before, besides going to his blog once or twice, so I don't know what pushed me to go to this forum.  Perhaps it was the fact that I had nothing to do during that time, or that my classmates were forced to attend, but whatever it was, I am glad I went.

Rodic's presentation explained how blogging is changing the fashion world.  Well-known bloggers are becoming as famous as celebrities ie. Rumi Neely and Tavi Gevinson.  As he explained, one does not have to have model looks in order to have a successful fashion blog.  It is actually the bloggers who are attractive, but not overly-attractive, that do, because their style and looks are attainable to readers.  He also presented the term of dictature.  Centuries ago, the town we were born in and the family we were born into would dictate our destiny.  However today, this is no longer the case.  We can choose to be whatever we want to without restrictions.

His work is simple, but I think it is this simplicity that draws people to his work; analogous to his saying bloggers who are not overly attractive make it big.  I very much enjoyed this presentation and hope more influential people like him are able to make the trip to Hawaii.

 Armani ad for eyewear by Yvan Rodic:




Random bush